Office parties, picnics, family get togethers, every type of party is good enough. It’s that time of the year again, our favourite time of the year, where we not only look forward to celebrating the birth of Christ, but also to the fun times we have with family and friends.
One thing’s for sure, along with these times come the unplanned incidents- you’re good to go and something stops you- a run in your skirt, a sweat stain, a funky smell from your dress that hits you just as you’re about to put on your shoes or even when you lay out your clothes the night before…
These hacks, some instant, some useful for the holidays in general, will definitely make your life easier, not to talk of it making for good conversation with your girlfriends…
- Have deodorant marks on your dark clothing? there’s nothing more annoying- but there’s a hack for that… and it doesn’t cost money. All you have to do is take a part of the inside of your clothing (where the deodorant mark is) and rub it on the outside of your outfit or better still, rub it on a pair of jeans; but to avoid any dangers of color transfer, test a small patch first. Simple right? Nothing too crazy.
Another way to get rid of armpit stains is with lemon juice and baking soda. Both are natural bleachers and easy to use. All you have to do is squeeze a lemon (or lemon juice from a bottle) and water onto the stain and rub it in. To get out a tougher stain however, you can create a baking soda and water paste and apply it to the armpit stain. Then just let it sit for around an hour and toss it into the washing machine.
2. You’ve done some vintage/thrift/secondhand shopping and want to Remove funky smells from your clothes. Do that by spritzing them with one part vodka and two part water. You could add a little bit of essential oil. The vodka has enough alcohol in it that it helps to disinfect your clothing, and the essential oil gives it that awesome scent.
3. Clothes too wrinkled and there’s no light to do your ironing? De-wrinkle spray for clothes is something you can make at home now. All you need is 1 tsp of conditioner, 1 Tbsp of white vinegar, and 2 cups of water. Put all of the ingredients into an empty spray bottle, shake and put it on a mist setting. Lightly spray wrinkled areas, lay it down smoothed, and let it dry for a little bit (make it just a bit damp). Then you’re ready to go!
4. Wait a few minutes before putting on freshly ironed clothing. When they cool down, the smoothness will set in, and you’ll be wrinkle free for the rest of the day.
5. One of the commonest problems you can have is a bit of oil stain on your purse, you probably didn’t notice before. Try coating the mark with baby powder and letting it sit over night. By morning the stain should be history.
6. Shopping for new clothes/shoes is definitely something to be expected during the holidays. So what do you do when your new shoes need breaking in? Break in stiff or snug fitting shoes by putting them on with socks and then blast them off with your hair dryer!
We’d like to know which of these hacks came in handy or most useful this festive season and which didn’t go as planned…
Research: guardian.ng, whowhat wear.com