It’s fashion week season again in the countries we like to call the fashion capitals of the world beginning with New York and until we in Africa and Nigeria are able to carve out/structure ours in a similar fashion, we still continue to look out to these shows as do the rest of the world; to point us in the direction of the trends we love and to those we look forward to seeing on the streets, every where around the world.
For Spring 2018 however, the designers showed strength in colors, cuts and fabrics; enough for us to say without exception that the trends are exciting to behold and even more to wear!
Here are 5 trends the SBM team would love to get on ASAP!
- Ruched Detail: We love the romantic, so we definitely are rooting for this trend! Trade the lace (if you can) for this flattering trend seen on the bodice of looks from the Jason Wu to the Brock collection.
A favourite for you if you want to show of your trim waist , also an addition for busy sleeves…
2. Bright and fun is coming in hot for colors in Spring 2018. Among them Orange. Always a spicy color that we enjoy more as accents, but these designers gave it all!
Ford spells it out in rubber, another trend picking up in those climes- wouldn’t advise any Nigerian to rush into buying any rubber outfits for any weather! But don’t you love Calvin Klein’s faux caped top and skirt with the zipper detailing?
3. Micro /Baby Florals: After the abstract bloom comes the little flowers on the dresses- the more petite and feminine the buds, the trendier.
We definitely love this one, another feminine addition. The good thing about this print is that it does quite well on our plus sized girls- just make sure the fabric is the right one for you and the white background is kept to a minimum.
4. Hot, Hot Pink: A color fighting for another run this season! While pastels may still be doing their thing on the runways, (Lavender had it’s own time to shine too, such a beautiful tame color!) but we must admit we are rooting for the brights! Afterall we are Nigerians! a nation of fashion lovers not known to shy away from anything bold and attractive!
Brandon Maxwell brought it on in head to foot elegance, and Ford showed us how to sling it for Work!
5. Utilitarian Racing Style Jumpsuits they call them, I guess because they don’t give off any feminine or lady like impressions. Out with the sleek sexy jumpsuits and the Casuals have won again, with the comfort and ease of this one piece.
As we always say, find one (or all) that works for your body and your style personality and get rocking! We know we will!
Photos: Imaxtree, harpersbazaar.com