Ogwa Iweze is one of the foremost designers in Abuja and in the Country. Creative Director of the label, DZYN, her brand is known for turning out tasteful, graceful and modish designs that makes her label much more notable amongst the other indigenous brands we know and love.
Our SBM team was able to snag an interview with her:
10 Questions with DZYN’s Ogwa Iweze:
1. Nobody talks about designers in Abuja or Nigeria for that matter without mentioning the DZYN brand. What did it take to realize this dream and What was the tipping point for you?
Wow! I have to pinch myself everytime I hear that! Firstly it’s been GOD! He alone knows our tomorrow from yesterday and even though I may question myself sometimes about the Dzyn vision it’s been about preserving and constantly pushing ourselves to stay relevant .
2. What do you do on a daily basis to grow as a designer ?
I always try and see the positives at the end of each day, things that make me look forward to the next day. No point dwelling on the bad things that have happened.
3. What’s the biggest thing you struggle with as a designer?Time
4. When I’m working on a new collection I always…
Go into over drive mode. I over think things and panic a lot. Lol.
I do a lot of self encouragement and then speak to my family members who encourage me a lot.
5.If you could work one trend only, what would it be?
I would have to say bare shoulders. I could rock this trend all day, everyday!
6. What’s that one fashion item that’s always worth paying a little extra for?
7. If someone wanted to impress you, what would they need to do?
Take initiative! Definitely a quality I greatly admire.
8. When I’m un-motivated to work I….
…Find a away to relax and unwind. Free my mind.
9. On a typical Saturday night I’m…
At one event or the other. There’s always something happening!
10. What’s the most unexpected thing about you?
Contrary to what I hear about myself I’ve been told I’m very approachable.
What’s next for Ogwa Iweze? Tough question. So many things planned . I will let them unfold and reveal themselves.
Pictures: Ogwa Iweze